Thursday, March 13, 2014

Home fire on West 145th Street in Orland Park Wednesday

Bookmark and Share

Home fire on West 145th Street in Orland Park Wednesday 

At about 1:50 pm on Wednesday afternoon, 3/12/2014, the Orland Fire District responded to investigate smoke coming from a home in the 9800 block of 145th St.

The first arriving units reported heavy smoke showing and fire visible inside the front door of the one story home set back off the road. Initial efforts were made to attack the fire from inside the home. The fire in the living area had extended into the attic.

After finding areas the fire had burned through the floor, firefighting efforts were made from the outside until the fire could be controlled and visibility improved to evaluate the condition of the floor for firefighter safety. The fire was controlled in about an hour. Firefighters from neighboring Palos, Mokena, Homer, Northwest Homer, Crestwood, Tinley Park, Posen, and Palos Heights were on the scene to assist.

Other area departments staffed Orland stations during the incident. The two residents at home at the time of the fire escaped without injury. The Red Cross was called and on scene to assist the 7 displaced residents. Orland investigators determined the accidental fire originated in a back bedroom and the cause to be electrical.  

Fire Chief Ken Brucki said, "The Orland Fire District extends its appreciation to a neighbor who had taken the time to dig out the fire hydrant from the heavy wet snow at the end of his driveway. Those efforts saved time for firefighters so they didn’t have to search for it and dig it out when found. Clear access also provides for supply hoses to be connected more efficiently guaranteeing water in the hoses for the safety of firefighters inside."

Photo courtesy of the Orland Fire Protection District